Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy

I have gotten my hands on a few classics and have thouroughly enjoyed them! The Scarlet Pimpernel was recomended to me by Heather Jones. My edition has Jane Seymour on the cover and I wish it didn't. I'd rather create the character in my own mind then see someone elses version of who they are. The old english was really hard to get used to at first. I set the book down many times during the beginning but by the middle I was hooked and I could not have even guessed about the ending, it was fabulous! Set in the year 1792 during the French Revolution, one english gentelman and his crew have set off to save the lives of French Aristocrats who are being sent to the Guillotine by the hundreds. But who is he?

"We seek him here, we seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven?-Is he in hell?
That demmed, elusive Pimpernel?"

Awsome.
Very G rated I might add, except for the Guillotine part.
I can't recall reading a book from this far back in history. This fiction painted a picture for me that makes me realize how old Europe really is. Some of the places in London I have visited but never thought about the people from 200 years ago also walking down the same streets, in completly different atire and rules of propriety that I could never even imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment