This book is ficticoulsy based on the life of a first lady, based loosley on Laura Bush. I enjoyed it. The plot was unusal and I couldn't always tell if there was a plot but it kept me entertained. It deals with issues of abortion/pro choice/pro life, upper vs lower classes in America, and child raising along with love and heart break. Here's a quote:
"I can say that the single most astonishing fact of political life to me has been the gullibility of the American people. Even in our cynical age, the percentage of the population who is told something and therefore believes it to be true-it's staggering. In a way, it's also touching; it makes me feel protective. (To be a person who sees a political ad on television and takes the statements in it as fact, how can you exist in this world? How is it you're not robbed daily by charlatans who knowck at your door?)"
So maybe the author and I share a similar perspective, politics involves so many lies and half truths that it's hard to take seriously.
One other thing about this book, the author is a man writing in a female perspective. I think he underestimated the feelings that close female friends share with each other. Alice, the main character and Dena, her best friend since grade school would not have walked away from a 30 year friendship so unintentionally. Maybe I feel this because of a regret from not having my grade school friendships last. Husbands take the place of best friends but the relationship need not be one or the other.
No comments:
Post a Comment