Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

This book came highly recommended to me from DeEtte and I've since found it on "must read" lists. I liked it but it was dark. I know I need to get over my dreams of 'happily ever after' but this book just did not leave me in my happy place when I was done with it. It did however give me insight into these fictional characters struggles that I find fascinating. What would I do in a similar situation? The story is from the point of view of a murdered 8 year old girl. I can still recall the description of the murder in my mind over a month later. I think of it when I pass corn feilds. I'm more worried now that my children will get abducted than before. I hope when (not if) disaster occurs my husband and I will face it clinging tightly together and not alone. I hope if I ever have to face the loss of a child that I won't go insane but know this is something I can't promise. I hope I never have to face a murderer. I also feel that rapists should get the death penalty. All in all I found this book disturbing but a nice slap of reality. Life does not end happily ever after for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. And when I read this book I was living in Virginia and hearing about horrible crimes, attacks, and murders everyday. I think that it made it real for me having come from a small town where there was barely any real crime. I think it made me realize you can be careful, and try and teach your children, but really in the end we have no control over other people. It's a scary thought. Of course you have to remember I'm a sociology major and LOVE To analyze and figure out why people do the things they do.. what would motivate them and also interested in how people react and handle situations. I don't think I would be prepared for this either. It scared me to think how I would react as a family member if this happened to someone I know. I can't make myself read it again but I loved the perspective.. I like books with an unusual perspective I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete