The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
This book was not a favorite of mine. It was dark and screwed up. I hope it was fiction and no young 14 year old boys are ever enticed into a sexual relationship with someone twice their age. Still, I could see it happening. Besides creating a stronger child advocate out of me the book made me think about what memories I choose to store. The man in the story clearly remembers the flowing dress of his love on a bike, her standing in front of his fathers bookshelf and a few others. It can be odd what memories deeply engrave themselves into our minds. So many of my life experiences I can barley recall at all. I remember a few important ones right now though as I'm thinking about it. The first time Ted asked me out on a date, the moment I decided I would go to and graduate from college, the first time I held Aubrie up over my head and she spit up on me from my head to my toes. OK, so weather good or bad memories at least they are mine and my life hasn't been as crappy as the 2 characters in this book. So I guess the book has helped me appreciate my own life more. Still, I don't recommend it.
No comments:
Post a Comment